One of the most popular attractions in Calgary, AB, Canada is the Calgary Zoo. Situated just east of the city’s downtown core adjacent to the Inglewood and East Village neighborhoods, part of the Calgary Zoo is in Bridgeland and a large portion of it is on St. George’s Island. The 120-acre Zoo is organized into these distinct zones: Destination Africa, Canadian Wilds, Penguin Plunge, Dorothy Harvie Botanical Gardens and ENMAX Conservatory, Eurasia and the Prehistoric Park.
The Calgary Zoo was opened in 1929 and is operated by the Calgary Zoological Society, an independent not-for-profit organization that is Alberta’s oldest registered charity. The Calgary Zoo has been Canada’s most visited zoo and in 2015, it was recognized by TripAdvisor when given the Travelers’ Choice Award. In the same year, the Zoo was named one of the top three most respected organizations in Alberta, and is one of the most beloved brands. That’s not all. It’s one of the top zoos in the world for conservation research.
The Prehistoric Park and the visitors’ fascination with dinosaurs when they roamed Alberta millions of years ago is one of the most talked about exhibits. In the early days of the Zoo circa 1934, the Prehistoric Park was originally referred to as the Natural History Park. Dinny the Dinosaur is the last dinosaur in existence at the current Prehistoric Park from the original Natural History Park which officially opened its doors in 1937. R.B. Bennet, the M.P. for Calgary West, presented the completed Park to the City of Calgary to much fanfare and excitement.